An abandoned building (formerly an engine oil factory) located on Lot No 3969 in Kampung Tg Kupang is being refurbished as the Kelab Alami Nature & Heritage Centre (KANHC), thanks to the support of the Port of Tg Pelepas (PTP), the Johor Port Authority (LPJ), the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) and an invaluable team of Project Consultants.
KANHC will be the commercial, research and tourism nexus for Kelab Alami. Koperasi Alami Johor Berhad, a co-operative whose members are from the local community will manage KANHC and its programmes, services and activities. Located on 4.946 acres of land, this space will showcase the outputs of our decade-long natural habitat and cultural documentation in Mukim Tg Kupang; be the centre of our tourism and educational activities; as well as act as a gathering place for our fishermen and the wider community.
KANHC sections drawing © Razin Architects
Work & Research
Seminar room drawing © Razin Architects
Interior exhibition drawing © Razin Architects
To become a centre for seagrass and mangrove research, environmental education and capacity building for marine-related employment.
To enable the local community to benefit from and participate in the urbanisation and development in their neighbourhood through employment in marine-related fields so that they are able to remain in touch with their marine heritage.
PHASE 1 (KIM GRANT)
- Site Clearing
- Main Gate, Structural Reinforcements & Roofing
- Water & Electricity Infrastructure
- Internal & External Toilet, Shower Rooms & Surau
- Information Centre & Exhibition Gallery
- Merchandise & Refreshments Corner
- Meeting Room & Office
- Storage Areas
WHAT DOES KANHC HOPE TO ACHIEVE?
- Bridge science, social science and local knowledge
- Study and showcase studies of coastal habitat - human interactions and connectivity
- Consolidate traditional ecological wisdom with scientific research & documentation
- To be the multi-purpose nexus of all Kelab Alami activities
- Support multiple segments of the community in opportunities for alternative or supplementary incomes, job skills development & certification.
- To become a centre for citizen science, experiential environmental education and coastal heritage research, sharing and exchange
- A base for Alami Academy (research, training & education)
- Run, managed and maintained by Kelab Alami youth, crew and the wider local community